What is the Edinburgh Remakery?
The Edinburgh Remakery is a community repair hub and second-hand shop, set up by the Remade in Edinburgh social enterprise.
Our vision is to create an alternative to a disposable society by making repair education accessible to all, to build a stronger, waste-free community and support vulnerable people within our city.
We run workshops and teach different repair techniques and skills around sewing and textiles, IT, phones and computers, and furniture and woodwork.
We also refurbish and upcycle second-hand furniture items, textiles, and IT equipment, rescuing these from becoming waste and giving them a new lease of life. We then sell these quality and affordable refurbished items at the Edinburgh Remakery.
What can you do at the Edinburgh Remakery?
- Buy quality, affordable second-hand furniture and IT equipment, and donate your second-hand items to us
- Join our workshops and learn sewing, book-binding, upholstery, woodwork, upcycling and finishing techniques, furniture repair, box-making, and more
- Hire out workbench space in our woodwork studio or sewing area to work on your own projects for just £4/hour, including the use of all tools and equipment
- Come along to our repair surgery every Thursday evening where we offer computer, IT, sewing and woodwork advice and repairs.
- Become a member and join our growing community. Membership costs just £25 and will give you 10% off all workshop bookings and 5% off all items in store for a year
- Book out our entire woodwork studio or sewing space to run your own workshops for friends, family, or a team building day for your organisation. We can even arrange tutors to run the workshop for you and provide materials.
Building a Stronger Community
All Edinburgh Remakery profits go back into funding our mission to make repair skills and education affordable and accessible to all in Edinburgh. This year our community projects will see us work with some fantastic organisations and charities to help vulnerable people throughout Edinburgh and the UK.
Laptops for Refugees
We are working with the Welcoming Association, Refuaid, Bikes for Refugees, and the City of Edinburgh Council to provide laptops to refugee families and asylum-seeking children resettling in the UK. Last year we were able to help 33 families and children with IT equipment to help them with vital services such as healthcare, education, employment, and to contact family and friends back home. This year we are committed to providing 100 laptops to this scheme, helping 100 families, individuals, and children.
So far this year we have received over 100 laptop donations, and now we just need the money to help pay to refurbish them, ready to be sent to vulnerable families and children across the UK. You can find out more about the project and support us here – www.edinburghremakery.org.uk/laptops-for-refugees
We are working with the local charity and community initiative, CHAI, to deliver a furniture recycling service which provides free furniture to help people come out of homelessness set up starter homes. Please get in touch with us if you have furniture you would like to donate – email@example.com
This year we are working with the environmental charity, Changeworks, to create a Zero Waste Leith and share repair and reuse skills even more widely in the community.
Every Thursday evening we hold a community repair service at the Edinburgh Remakery which is run on a Pay-What-You-Can-Afford basis. The purpose of this is to ensure that repair education and services are available to those who wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford them. By partnering with Changeworks on this project, we have been able to extend our Repair Surgery service to offer sewing, IT, and woodwork/furniture advice and repairs every single week.
Through this project, we will also be offering free community workshops and events around Leith to further promote waste reduction through repair and reuse. Find out more about our new Repair Surgery services and hours here – www.edinburghremakery.org.uk/fix/repair-surgery/
We offer volunteering opportunities across our different departments to allow volunteers to develop and practice valuable skills. Our volunteering opportunities also help those out of work gain practical experience and build the confidence to help them return to work.