IT - TEXTILES - FURNITURE
We run a weekly drop-in Repair Surgery every Thursday at the Edinburgh Remakery from 4:30-8:30pm.
The purpose of the Repair Surgery is to make repair services accessible to everyone in Edinburgh, helping people learn new valuable skills, gain confidence, and meet other like-minded individuals in our community.
Our Repair Surgeries focus is on the repair of furniture, textile and clothing items, and IT equipment including laptops, phones, and tablets.
Whilst we strive to keep the Repair Surgery as affordable as possible – and free for those who couldn’t otherwise afford it – it costs us approximately £200 to run each week. Therefore, we run this on a donation-basis with a suggested donation of £10, or £5 concession.
Furniture repairs – 4:30-8:30pm
Sewing & Textile repairs – 5:30-8:30pm
IT repairs – 6-8:30pm
WHAT CAN WE HELP WITH?
- Our sewing tutors can help with repairs and minor alterations; such as replacing a button, sewing on a patch, mending a rip,
and taking up trousers. We have a small supply of replacement buckles, buttons, Velcro, darning wool, and zips, but cannot guarantee to have the right size, type and colour.
- Our woodwork technician can help with repairs to small pieces of furniture, such as dining chairs, stools, and coffee tables. If you’re unable to bring your item in, or it is a larger piece of furniture, please take photos of the damaged section and we can offer advice and guidance.
- Our IT technicians can help with any kind of broken IT including laptops, desktops, tablets, smartphones, monitors, e-readers, Macs, Iphones, Ipads, Ipods, and game consoles.
- They cannot help with electrical goods such as irons, food processors, radios, hair straighteners, hoovers, etc, and are not currently able to teach people how to use software, for example programmes like WordPress, Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc.
- There is no public wi-fi available
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- The Repair Surgery is a drop-in, which means you do not have to make an appointment, just come along with your item and our expert volunteers will help you from there!
- We run on a first-come first-serve basis and we’re open to everyone, so if it is a busy evening you may have to wait a short while. We advise that you arrive before 8pm if you are bringing along any IT.
- We love repeat customers, however we are limited for space so please only come along if there are specific items you need help with.
If you have any further questions about the Repair Surgery,
you can contact email@example.com